DTD at MC #55 1/2

Saturday, November 17, 2007

Hi again,
I just had a change of heart. I have decided that it is important to let you all see what Ted Smith wrote for our 40th anniversary booklet. Perhaps it will spark a memory from you and get a note for the booklet.

On a personal note, thanks for the compliment Ted. I don't know how much help I've been to the chapter, but like so many others, I try.

Here are the notes from Ted's memories. I hope you enjoy them.

Thoughts from my memory…

“Johnny’s”:

In 1967, when I was a freshman, I resided (with future-brother Sherm Koons ’71) in the now-defunct PUTNAM Hall, which was at the corner of Putnam & Seventh. Across the street was a dumpy little restaurant named “Johnny’s”. I ate there only
because, as many had told me, THEY will cash your checks. It was a dark, cramped, smokey, dismal place and thinking back, I’m pretty surpised I would have ever eaten anything served in that joint. As I remember, the burgers were good! (Who knows what was in them) I remember as you walked in the door there was a pinball machine off to the right and I spent time some great times with other brothers “flipping the solid metal balls”. I think Johnny’s was ripped down after my first year at MC.

“Burning of The College Bookstore”:

I remember the burning of the college bookstore which used to be directly across from the house @ 507. This was probably the spring of ’69 and it happened at about 4am. After the sirens woke us up, I remember sitting on the front stairs with Ron Rees & Greg Hanson smoking Marlboro reds---(that’s the only Marlboro that existed then) watching the fire, half-awake mumbling phrases of the times like “wow, man…check the flames”.

This was a VietNam War protest. I believe instigated by Dana Hibbard (a female college student ’70???) who, I believe, had founding ties to the college. She and her group took American flags off buildings in downtown soaked them with gas and set the old bookstore on fire. (The old wooden building was going to be torn down, but this fire certainly completed the process). I don’t remember the charges against the parties, but this was one of the many war protests that happened on campuses during VietNam---yes, even at MC. Look closely at composites of the 68-71 years and notice, the headbands, peace buttons, etc….real reflections of what was happening at the time.

"Fifth Street”:

You used to be able to drive right from the house @507 to The Fine Arts Center via Fifth Street…a regular street like any other in Marietta. I remember driving that route in my ’51 Ford while wasted on cheap wine, only to pull up to Fayerweather Hall to pick up a date…only to spill my guts in the parking lot and pass out. She was notified and I think that’s how I made it into her room for the rest of the evening. (NO CO-ED DORMS BACK THEN). The road that was once Fifth Street is now the gorgeous MC campus mallway.

“Cat’s Head”:

I don’t remember the year, but after we had nationalized, some of us had a great idea…let’s freak out the “worst” sorority Alpha Gamma Delta (long gone from campus). I am almost positive this was spearheaded by Joe Doniger ’71…I think he had “ins” at the Bio lab. He went down and got a formaldehyde jar with a cat’s head…with mouth wide open. A group of us got it to our house boxed it, and wrapped it with beautiful paper and ribbons. I think there was a note attached to “The Alpha Gams with love!…please open ASAP”. We set the box on the doorstep, rang their bell and hid in bushes nearby…later you should have heard the screams. We took off.

“507 Putnam Street Sun-Deck”:

They were countless times when we climbed up thru the narrow passage in the attic to get to top sun-deck. What a great place for drinking, and drooling over the Chi Omegas in their 2-piece outfits sun-bathing on their deck. Always a great time!

“The Ted Smith Memorial Mortuary Masquerade”:

All the brothers knew that during the summers I worked for the largest funeral home in Columbus (with thoughts of becoming a mortician). We always needed different concepts for parties…and one time a party theme was lacking and I said hey how about The Ted Smith Memorial Mortuary Masquerade. Obviously this would take some work, but what fun when we pulled it off. I was laid out on the large work table…in the front room @ 507 all overdone with makeup…and just “floured big time”…I was more than ashen. On the walls were pictures of me with black banners & wilted flowers and funerial music playing in the background. My pledge
brother, Steve Fox, was in the front row of seats…just in front of my head and
weeped incessantly until all came to “pay their respects”. Rabbi Joe Doniger
wrote and delivered the fabulous eulogy wh ich included something about each and
every brother. At the conclusion of his “powerfully touching message”…some
brothers slid me head first into a garbage can (at the head of the table) which
had painted on the side in dripping blood red paint “DEP IS DEAD”. (My nickname
in the house was Dep, short for my real first name, Deppen.). At this point, the
party music came on and the beer flowed and flowed. The party had started. This
theme took excellent teamwork to coordinate and all of the brothers made this
come off without a hitch. Speaking of Joe Doniger…he was respsonsible for
attaching “nicknames” to many of the brothers.

I think I have brochures and the eulogy from The Ted Smith Memorial Mortuary Masquerade. I will forward them for the Delt “achives”.

“Steve Fox”:

In 1968, Steve & I were suite-mates in Parsons Hall and became pledge brothers…just the two of us. As our pledge project we created the first wooden active pin to hang on the front of the house at 507 Putnam. Although it was our project, brother Don Wolfe was the guy who really helped us with the design and creation. We were both useless with mechanics and Don was a “wiz” (at almost everything). I
remember when Steve (“Foxy”) broke his leg…I carried his books, got his meals,
etc…as he hobbled around on crutches. It seemed like an eternity until he healed
up and could walk!!!!

Hope this helps,
TED SMITH ‘71

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oi, achei seu blog pelo google está bem interessante gostei desse post. Gostaria de falar sobre o CresceNet. O CresceNet é um provedor de internet discada que remunera seus usuários pelo tempo conectado. Exatamente isso que você leu, estão pagando para você conectar. O provedor paga 20 centavos por hora de conexão discada com ligação local para mais de 2100 cidades do Brasil. O CresceNet tem um acelerador de conexão, que deixa sua conexão até 10 vezes mais rápida. Quem utiliza banda larga pode lucrar também, basta se cadastrar no CresceNet e quando for dormir conectar por discada, é possível pagar a ADSL só com o dinheiro da discada. Nos horários de minuto único o gasto com telefone é mínimo e a remuneração do CresceNet generosa. Se você quiser linkar o Cresce.Net(www.provedorcrescenet.com) no seu blog eu ficaria agradecido, até mais e sucesso. If is possible add the CresceNet(www.provedorcrescenet.com) in your blogroll, I thank. Good bye friend.

6:46 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home