Rick Neel: DTD at MC #27

Thursday, November 02, 2006

Hello everyone,

I have a couple of new email addresses for this email, so welcome to Ken Kavula, Ron Rees, and Mike Lowe (listed in order of graduation - I think!). If you guys are curious as to what I'm talking about, old issues of these emails can be found at: http://mcdeltalumni.blogspot.com/

I've been talking about raising some money for new ritual equipment for a couple of emails now, and I have had several people send me notes with questions. Here are a few of them.

Is it possible to cut to the chase and give us a ballpark figure for the whole set?

If Darrell can make some of the equipment (better no doubt) and we can "help a brother contribute his share via labor" then that would be great, too. Just get us all a number and I'll bet the brothers get the money to you or Fergie in fairly short order.
Rick Kramer '75


Rick,

A question or two:

The "package" of ritual equipment we can purchase from national, does that include everything or is there still "other items" that need to be purchased in addition. Also once we reach the required amount (which should be easily met as you have stated) Is there something else we can then funnel the remainder of cash towards -- say a foosball table or grill, etc?

Bob Simerlink '89


Bob Peterson wrote: " ... We need to have an organized fund drive for the ritual equipment, some investigative work needs to be done on our options (buy ready made or have the current EU brother build it), make a decision on what we plan to do, come up with an estimate, send out a request and tell us where and to whom to mail the checks. I'm ready to write a check but need more info ... ."

He had more to say, mostly about his time as an Executive in Residence, but I'll include that in the next email.

Chris Goebel wrote:
...I have a quick question that you probably have emailed me 100 times but where and to whom do we make out the check for a donation? Sorry if you already made this information available.

Talk to you soon,

Chris '87


So OK you know what I have been hearing from you guys about this project, and I am very happy that so many are interested in replacing the equipment. Here are some answers for you.

Fergie wrote:
I talked to Chapter President Craig Sundstrom and told him along with the Guide & VP to review all the equipment and determine what we need. All the specs are in the ritual book. One thing we do need is a chair for the President. We can research and find out what we want. Also, I talked to Central Office and they do not stock any ritual equipment. Just thought I would bring you up to speed on my findings. Fergie

I also spoke to Brian Ashton, an undergrad who contacted the Central Office on his own. He gave me the following information (over the phone so you have to hope I have a decent memory!) There is no prepackaged ritual equipment (as Fergie also told us) so we can have our equipment as plain or as ornate as we wish. Some chapters have a marble top on the altar, some have a plain setup such as what we have. Some have the columns made out of a material whereby lighting it at the bottom, the whole column lights up, rather than just the globe. Some chapters have special chairs for all of the officers (again Fergie mentioned this), some don't. The crescent can be as plain or as ornate as we wish. The same can be said about the carpet and shield.

Craig Sundstrom, the Chapter President, sent this:
All of the specifics (dimensions and materials) are included in the Ritual book. If we were to find someone to construct a particular part of the equipment, I believe that those dimensions could be given out for those purposes. As far as I know, the key with the "secret" side of the equipment is to be sure to refrain from revealing the significance of each piece. For example, we carry the equipment right through the hotel lobby when preparing for Ritual at a conference or Karnea, because onlookers do not have any understanding of our Ritual and the ways in which we use the equipment.


So I guess that we can either do it ourselves or hire someone to make it for us, the key being that they not know the significance of what they are building. I suspect that the original men built the equipment without knowing what it was for.

Brian also had a thought that I liked, though I'm not inclined that way. He suggested that we make this a joint project for the Alumni and the Undergraduates, and make the equipment during the spring golf weekend or next fall's homecoming. I really liked that idea, even though the thought of that many Delts in a room with power tools is a bit scary (Shawn Selby put that mental picture in my mind, thanks Shawn!). What do you guys think? James Kane offered to build us a new altar himself. James, I guess that your kind offer will have to wait for a bit ... but don't you think that I have forgotten.

I hope that answers most of the questions that you all have, if any more pop into your heads, let me know and I will get you an answer. In the meantime, keep sending your checks to: Crescent Colony of Marietta Inc. Care of Bob Ferguson, 507 Wooster St., Marietta, Ohio 45750 Make note on the check that it is for ritual equipment.

By the way, we are almost ready to release the email address file for all of you. I spoke to Undergrad Adam Hopkins yesterday and he is about done with it. I can't wait.

Have a good weekend.

Rick Neel '73

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home