Dawes Memorial Library, RIP

Friday, June 01, 2007

Well, they've started tearing down the library.

Here's a link to a video story on it by WTAP. The one student interviewed is Undergraduate Delt Jeff Wojton, vice president of the Chapter. Go Jeff!

After watching the video, to which I was alerted by Sigma Sigma Sigma alumna Charla Nutter '95, I was struck by two things:

1. It was pretty upsetting to see the bulldozer crashing into the library. The library memorializes MC alumnus Charles Dawes, a former vice president of the United States. He's definitely the highest-ranking office holder this college has ever produced. Now that legacy goes unmarked. Plus, I worked at the library my first semester at Marietta and in the evenings one summer. So I got to go into all the nooks and crannies that we off limits to everyone else. :-)

2. WTAP, the Parkersburg TV station, still sucks. Really sucks. It was bad in the late 80s and early 90s. It is still bad today. A quote from the piece describes the library as "a symbol of knowledge the college departs on students year after year."

I guess I must have been there during the years the college imparted knowledge.

I hope the WTAP reporter didn't go to Marietta!

And now for something completely different ...

I have been AWOL on my blogging duties, namely formatting Rick's posts.

The day I returned to work from the Spring Alumni Weekend, we had two editors leave their jobs, and I've had to add a lot of duties temporarily to my portfolio, namely overseeing the content and production of the biggest issue of Crain's Detroit Business that we publish each year.

The last of it went to press this evening

I've been working 50-plus hours a week and taking work home on the weekend as a result. The worst of it is over.

I'm now going back through the blog and doing the appropriate clean up on Rick's most recent reports. I'll also have some housekeeping posts in the next few weeks as well.

I know Rick thinks that I have abandoned him, but I haven't.

In the imortal words of myself: "I'm baaaaacccckkkkk!"

Cheers!

Shawn

Labels: , , ,

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is great info to know.

10:40 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home