DTD at MC # 37

Tuesday, January 30, 2007

Good morning to everyone,

Boy, am I glad that the undergrads are back on campus! It gives me something to write about. Plus I have some new/updated addresses for you. And a discount offer from a Brother, limited to EU members.

Here is the first bit of news, as most of you undoubtedly are aware, the winter issue of the Protimoi has been released. Please go check it out — another fantastic job by Hunter and the undergrads. It can be reached at the Chapter Web site: http://www.marietta.edu/~delts/protimoi.htm

There is an article about one of our undergrads, Dustin Walker, who has joined the Marine Corps. There is a link to the chapter to let you know how to get in touch with him.

Peter Weiner, my little brother, sent me the following offer shortly after my last email and I thought that I would pass it along to you, in case you are interested. I’m not sure I want to get into the buying and selling thing, but this once I will. Peter is in business building, modifiying, and trouble shooting computers. With today’s launch of Windows Vista, he has made the following offer to EU Delts:


Hey Big Bro,

I’m going to take this opportunity to solicit business.

Attention all Brother Delts EU Chapter:

Many of you have heard that on Jan. 31, 2007, a new operating system for our great and powerful computers is going to be released.

There are many variations of the new OS from 32bit to 64bit from basic to Ultimate. As a OEM SYSTEM BUILDER registered with Microsoft and Intel, I will be dealing with the best of the breeds: Vista Home Premium, Vista Business, and Vista Ultimate.

If anyone is interested in obtaining this software at greatly reduced price (this offer is only for EU Delts) please feel free to contact me

Peter S. Weiner
President http://www.petethegeek.net/
786-267-3224


I sent him the following message, to clarify what he is offering. Following my note is his response, with pricing. I hope that it is helpful for those of you interested.


Peter,

Just a thought for you. Have you considered posting on the new Delt InCircle? Evidently that is what that site is for. I will post your message very shortly so if anyone is interested they will have the opportunity to contact you.

Tell me though, what is the advantage for a home user like me? I don’t really use the computer for work. Just to play, and I don’t really play games either. So why should I upgrade? Just curious. Thanks, Peter. Hope everything is going well for you.

Rick


His response:


Rick,

To be honest I haven’t taken the time to look at the Delt InCircle. Most home users use their computers to play. Reasons to upgrade to more stable platform, better built in security from the Internet (built in anti spyware and firewall and anti virus) For families, better control over of non administrator accounts. Great child controls built in. The ability to “roll back to an earlier state “if an inappropriate executable file gets installed while surfing.

Particular for the home user: smoother integration to create a home media center: better movie watching , music listening , TV watching and creating and burning DVD/CDs.

Overall with the new Areo interface much more fun and pleasant look and feel to the operating system. With multiple window open you can roll through them as if they were on a rolodex, flip though live windows. There are some of the positives now for the opposing view: needs more RAM, a video card with a min of 128 MB video RAM and a modern CPU to work properly.

Check here for minimum hardware requirements: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/windowsvista/aa905075.aspx

Want to see if your Windows XP-based PC can run Windows Vista? Just download, install and run the Windows Vista Upgrade Advisor: http://www.microsoft.com/windowsvista/getready/upgradeadvisor/default.mspx

Hope this helps,
Peter


My reply:


Peter,

Thanks for the information, I checked and my machine will take the update. Now to figure out if I want it ...

I’m getting ready to post your email. But I thought that I should ask this question, een though I feel sure that I know the answer already. I’m kind of embarrassed about it. So please don’t take offense. The upgrade that you are offering the Brothers is a legal and authentic issue, with the proper paperwork isn’t it? Like I said, I’m embarrassed to ask, but I feel like I really have to. Hope that you understand.

Rick


His response:


Rick,

Don’t be embarrassed, in these days of Internet scams it is an appropriate question.

ABSOLUTELY LEGAL! Full OEM license, not upgrade, completely legit. I do not need to face the penalties of $10k fines and possible 3-5 at the Graybar hotel or worse.

By the way just as an example Vista Ultimate is selling at Best Buy for 399.99 my price is $295.00, Vista Home Premium at Best Buy is $239.99 my price $195.00

All prices subject to tax and shipping.

Peter S. Weiner
President
http://www.petethegeek.net/
786-267-3224


There you go, that is the conversation that I had with Peter. Anyone interested, please give Peter a shout.

Since I wrote last time, I heard from Fergie that our donations are up to $260 now, on our fundraising effort towards new ritual equipment. I also heard from Ashley Wollam, the Chapter guide. More information should be coming from him shortly, I hope. Please consider a donation to help with this project. Send your check to Crescent Colony of Marietta Inc. c/o Robert Ferguson, 507 Wooster St., Marietta, Ohio 45750. Please note on your check that it is for ritual equipment. Thank you.

Here is Ashley’s note, along with my reply.


I just wanted to quickly touch base with you about getting new Ritual Equipment. Nick Aylward and I did an inventory today of our equipment and mapped out the things we need. We’re going to go pseudo-shopping here soon to firm up our estimates, but I can give you some rough preliminary ones now:

Rite of Iris: $95 (Plywood, paint, gloss, votives, purple and gold fabrics, window coverings).

Ritual: $153 (Light box, stain, column pieces, globes, bulbs, extension cords, pedestal, gavel, et cetera).

We’re thinking about possibly going wireless on the lights, depending on how fiscally viable the option might be.

Just to let you know, the Chapter is taking this as a serious investment. The goal, as I understand it, is to move towards equipment that will last, so we’re not going to bother with things we expect to replace in the near future. I hope that is what alumni are feeling as well.

Cheers to you, and I’ll talk to you soon with more accurate estimates!

Ashley



Ashley,

I agree with you that the plans and estimates that you come up with should be with the thought in mind that the equipment should be built to last (maybe not another 40 years, but last). While you are putting your list together, list it all. Fergie says that you need a new chair for the Chapter president, include that. You could use new tables for the officers to work from, include that. Include the cost of the wireless light controls. Do you want columns that are lit all the way up? (I think that would be neat), figure that in.

Don’t be extravagant just to be extravagant. But do ask for the things that you want. If you want things that cost $1,000 total, and ask for things that only cost $500, you will only get $500. If you ask for the $1,000 and only get $500, we can scale back.
Be aware that you may not get all of those things in the first go around. But that is what you would like to have. We may have to get part of it now, and continue to save for some other things (the president chair and work tables). Getting window coverings is something that you need, but remember we are hoping for a new shelter for you guys in the semi-near future, will they fit in the new place? Black trash bags are ugly, but they work.

There you have my thoughts on this. Do what you will with it, but I do hope that you can get us some sort of an estimate fairly shortly.

Welcome back to school!

Rick


So there you have the information so far. We’ll see what he comes back with.

From the Chapter meeting minutes, which have been newly added to the Chapter Web site, so you can all read them. (As can everyone else in the world, is this wise?) The Chapter GPA is over a 3.0, I think that deserves an “attaboy.”

The Chapter is leading in the new member education trial program with over 200 points, I don’t know what that means, but if we are in 1st place in something, it has to be good!

Finally, Feb. 4th is a formal meeting and installation of the new officers. I would like to extend my congratulations to the current group on a job well done! To the new group, you have big shoes to fill, and I am confident that you can do so, and build upon what has gone before! Good luck, if I can be of any help, let me know. For any alumni in the area on the 4th, stop by and attend the meeting.

I got the following email from Jon Bolden. I’m all in favor of getting together. I’m learning that there are several of us here in the West, perhaps we could all get together somewhere on a weekend for a round of golf or something. Have to keep that in mind, and try it.


I didn’t realize that you were in Arizona. Let me know if you are ever swinging through Austin, Texas, and we can stop and have a meal together. Also, Brother Corey Medina is in Albuquerque, so I might be making a road trip someday. Take
it easy. Back to work!

The new/updated addresses that I have received this week are: Graham Cochran, Jon Bolden and Robert “Gib” Gibson. Gib also sent me an address I had been missing, thanks Gib: Trent Leupp. Thanks to for keeping me updated on your address. And welcome Trent!

Here are some names I need help with this week: Albert Mason ’68, Andrew James ’73, Rodney Stoltz ’76, Lt. Walter Meneses ’81, Steven Bennett ’84, Adam Mermer ’94, Buell Hall ’00, Jay Read ’05. Thanks for your help with these Brothers. It seems as if this is working, about every week I get a new name from the list.

That’s all I have this week, have a good week. I hope to see you all in April at the golf outing, and in 2008 for our 40th anniversary on the MC campus.

Rick Neel ’73

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home